Friendships can be so toxic. You try so hard to fit in, so you give up yourself in return. Soon, you just become a duplicate, and the real you is hidden. You begin doing things you thought you would never do. You are constantly unhappy. You are afraid to say the wrong thing around the people you should trust most.
Don’t let it get that far.
That is not what friendship is like. Friendship means surrounding yourself with people you can always rely on, people who will bring you up, not tear you down. You are different than any other person in this world. You don’t need to become someone else to be liked, you just need to find the people who will accept you.
So why do we do it? To get invited to more parties? To feel popular? It’s not worth it. Real friendship is being able to sit in silence, without the awkward part. It’s being with someone you can truly be yourself around.
So how do you know if you are in a toxic friendship?
If you are in one of these situations, get out! You deserve better, and you will find better.
- Always guilts you into doing things. They might hold a secret you told them against you.
- Doesn’t keep your secrets, ever. You can never trust them with anything.
- Makes you afraid to speak your mind. You are afraid he/she will hate you if you say something wrong.
- Always asks for something, but never does anything in return.
- Tries to change you into being more like them.
- Always degrades you, makes you feel bad about yourself, or criticizes you.
- Start arguments about every little thing.
- Gives you reasons not to rely on him/her because he/she will cancel plans with you if he/she get a better offer.
I hope none of you find yourself in this situation, but if you are, I hope this helps. I know finding/making new friends can be hard, but it’s possible. If you ever need someone to talk to, you can always message me on Instagram or Twitter!