We are already entering the final quarter of 2020. It’s definitely not how any of us expected the year to go, but I’m taking things one day at a time and just focusing on taking care of myself.
Anyway, let’s talk about some of my favorites for the last 3 months! Some of these you may have seen if you follow me on social media, but I wanted to be sure to talk about them here, too!
- Scrivener: At the start of July, I focused A LOT on writing, which you guys saw a little bit of. I have been using Scrivener for about 2 years now, but I recently started using it even more and I have been loving it! If you don’t know, it is a word processing system that allows you to create multiple folders, rearrange chapters, outline, take notes, etc. There are tons of videos online that go into more detail with how it works, but it truly is my favorite writing tool.
- Writer group chats: July was Camp NaNo, which is why I was doing so much writing! Finding a few friends to make group chats with was so motivating. I joined a few Discord servers where people were constantly sharing their updates, planning long writing days, and giving advice. Having this support system is really what kept me going, and it’s how I managed to win Camp!
- Writing vlogs & livestreams: I have been following a lot more writers/authors on Youtube and social media platforms recently, and it has been so inspiring. I love watching writing vlogs so so much, as I feel like I get to learn so much from other writers’ processes. And livestreams helped me get SO MUCH writing in! I highly recommend them if you are looking to get motivated.
TV Shows & Movies
- Normal People: I read and watched Normal People during quarter 3, and let me tell you- I liked the tv show more than the book. Personally, I just didn’t connect with the book as much as I thought I would, but the tv show really brought everything to life for me in a way that was more fascinating. I think it was really well done, and Hulu adaptations just really have my heart at the moment!
- Criminal Minds: I am currently in the process of watching this show from start to finish, which is something I’ve never actually done before. I basically grew up watching random episodes of it that were on TV with my dad, but now I’m actually following the storyline. I love this show and these characters with my whole heart.
- Katherine Ryan Glitter Room: One thing that I want to start watching more of is comedians/stand up shows. I recently watched Katherine Ryan’s Glitter Room on Netflix, and it was so funny! It was also super empowering and discussed a lot of women’s issues. I highly recommend it! If you have any favorite stand up shows or comedians, please recommend them to me!
Podcasts have been a huge part of the last few months for me, as I didn’t have as much time to dedicate to reading. If you guys want a whole post of Podcast recs, that is definitely something I can do! Here are a few that I really loved, though!
- Sakara Life: I have been really invested in my health recently, mainly after a few personal things had started happening to me. I am currently also dealing with some digestion issues (which I think is related to my recent soy allergy discovery), as well a knee injury that I am still recovering from. The hosts of this podcast bring in a lot of guests to speak about different aspects of health—from healing your gut, eating whole foods, sleep, and more—which have all been super fascinating. I am excited to keep learning more.
- Millennial Minimalists: One thing that I have been working on over the last few months is adopting a more minimalistic lifestyle. These two best friends chat about their journey to minimalism, and they share lots of tips/advice for how to go about it. But they’re also just so fun to listen to! I have really been enjoying this podcast, and if you are looking to get started with minimalism, this might be for you!
- The Michelle Obama Podcast: I miss the Obama’s so much, as I’m sure many of you do. This podcast feels like I’m chatting with a friend. It’s full of so much wisdom and insight, and I just trust Michelle Obama with everything. If you haven’t listened yet, I definitely think it is a must.
- Pineapple coconut water: During quarantine, I was running a lot. And it was hot for the majority of those months, so I would come back from my runs super sweat and dehydrated. Coconut water contains a lot of electrolytes and is supposed to replenish all that you lost after sweating! But, regular coconut water is not my favorite thing in the world. I was sort of forcing it down my throat. When I tried the pineapple flavor, though, I fell in love. I drink after any long workout and just when I’m feeling very dehydrated! It tastes amazing.
- Watermelon: At one point during the summer, I was eating full watermelons by myself every single week. My parents even decided that next year they are going to plant watermelon seeds in our garden because I was spending so much money on buying them. Watermelon is definitely one of my favorite fruits, and it was the perfect snack on hot summer days!
- Avocado: Confession—I never tried avocado until a few months ago. I have been a very picky eater my entire life (not by choice!!), so trying new foods is really hard for me. But recently, I’ve really been pushing myself to try new things, and avocado was one of them! I love it now and I eat avocado toast w/ eggs at least once a week! I’m finally on board that train.
- HU Chocolate: I recently became an ambassador for the HU brand, and they sent me a few of their products to try out. I am completely in love with their products. They make crackers, chocolate covered nuts, baking chocolate, and chocolate bars. Their bars are my absolute favorite chocolate I’ve ever tried, and it’s so much healthier for you than most other brands! Their crackers are also phenomenal! If you want to try out any of their products, you can use the code “JessicaEats” for 15% off! I promise I’m not just trying to sell this to you (though I do get a commission if you use my code), I actually really do love it (and I ate my chocolate much faster than I’d like to admit).
- Passion planner: I recently received a passion planner as a giveaway, and it is truly my favorite thing ever. You guys know how much I love organization, so this is an item that I have been wanting for a really long time, but didn’t want to spend so much money on. Now that I have it, I know I won’t be going back to any other type of planner system for a while. I actually ditched my bullet journal for this because I was basically doing this same layout in my bujo anyway, so now it’s just pre-made for me!
- Lap desk: I have shared pictures of my lap desk on quite a few spaces since I got it. It is truly one of my best purchases ever, especially now that I’m in school and don’t have a desk in my room. I linked one that is super similar to the one I bought, but it seems like mine is no longer being sold. I use this thing all the time. I love that it has a drink holder and it’s big enough to fit my laptop plus a book if I need. It has just helped me out a lot.
- Sound machine: I recently bought a white noise/sound machine because I moved into a house with 6 other girls for the school year, and it can get pretty loud. I have already been having a lot of trouble sleeping as it is, so the addition of noise was not helping. I wanted to try out a sound machine, and this thing has been life changing. I’m finally falling asleep at a fairly fast rate, opposed to the 2-3 hours it was taking me to fall asleep before this. If you are struggling with your sleep, this may help!
- Social media breaks & utilizing screen time settings: The last thing I want to talk about is screen time. My screen time was upwards of 7 hours during the summer, and I hated that. I didn’t want to be spending so much of my time behind a screen, as it was really damaging to my mental health. I talked about how I took a week long social media break a few months back, but since then, I have been incorporating more limits to my phone usage. I now have downtime set up on my phone so that between 9:30 pm and 8 am, the only apps I can use are ones for reading (kindle, libby, libro.fm). I also have an hour limit each day for Instagram and Twitter, though I haven’t even been crossing that limit much. My screen time has gone down to 4 hours or less each day! I would still love to get that down to 2 hours, but I’m really happy with all of my progress so far. It has helped me out immensely, and I feel so much better when I step away from the internet.
That is all for today’s post. I hope that you were able to find something new from it that maybe you’ll incorporate into your own life!
Let me know what some of your favorites from the past few months have been, I’d love to check them out :)