In April of 2018 (almost 2 whole years ago), I wrote my first 5-star predictions post. Since then, I have uploaded a second one. I decided it was finally time to look back on those predictions, as I have now read all of the books, and see if I was right!
My reading tastes have changed a lot, so I’m actually very nervous to see how I did (and I honestly don’t think I did great at all).
Let’s start with the very first one I did.
✏️ Simon vs. the Homo Sapiens Agenda by Becky Albertalli: 3 stars
- Not off to a great start here. Unfortunately, this one fell a little flat for me. I think the hype around it made me want to love it so much, but it just didn’t do much for me. It was a really important book, and the movie was phenomenal, but as far as enjoyment, it was just okay.
✏️ From a Low and Quiet Sea by Donal Ryan: 4 stars
- Close, but not quite a 5 star read for me. I think the story was really beautiful, but I found myself skimming some of the long descriptions and getting a little bored throughout. The ending was PHENOMENAL, though, and I’m very happy I read it!
✏️ By Your Side by Kasie West: 3.5 stars
- I am really not doing great here, oops. I enjoyed this one, and I know I’ll pick up more by Kasie West in the future, but it definitely wasn’t enough to give it a 5-star rating.
✏️ We’ll Always Have Summer by Jenny Han: 3 stars
- I predicted I would enjoy this one because I loved the first two books in the trilogy. Unfortunately, this one ended up being my least favorite. The characters just felt very different to me in this book, and I couldn’t connect with them anymore.
✏️ Alex, Approximately by Jenn Bennett: 5 stars
- Finally!!! A 5 star!! Jenn Bennett is incredible and I’ve raved about this book enough. You all get it already.
✏️ Beholding Bee by Kimberly Fusco: 2 stars
- This book was completely not what I expected it to be AT ALL. I just wasn’t the right audience for this book, and I felt very confused and thrown off by the whole thing. It really wasn’t my thing.
How Did I Do?
I only got 1/6 right from the first post… yikes. The books weren’t bad, just not god-tier level for me, unfortunately.
Maybe post number two will be better…
✏️ The Diviners by Libba Bray: 5 stars
- This time we are starting off on the right foot! The Diviners was incredible and everything I needed! I’m happy to say this was an incredible read.
✏️ Someday, Someday Maybe by Lauren Graham: 3 stars
- This one wasn’t a 5 for me, but it wasn’t a bad story. It just didn’t feel like anything special to me. I still love Lauren Graham so much, though!
✏️ A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab: 4.5 stars
- This one didn’t exactly get a 5 from me, but it was so close! I REALLY enjoyed it, and I can’t wait to finish the series.
✏️ If We Were Villains by M.L. Rio: 5 stars
- Ladies and gentlemen, we have another winner! This was a phenomenal book, and I’m just mad it took me so long to get to.
✏️ Starfish by Akemi Dawn Bowman: 5 stars
- And we’re ending it off with another 5-star read!! I loved Summer Bird Blue by Akemi, so I knew I would love anything else she wrote. I am excited to read her 2020 release, Harley in the Sky, very soon.
How Did I Do?
I obviously knew my tastes a little better this time around. I got 3/5 correct, which isn’t bad!
My total, though, is 4/11, which is embarrassing. I will say, however, that I read a majority of these books more recently, and my tastes have changed a lot over those 2 years, and I’ve become a much more critical reader.
I feel like now that I know what I like and don’t like, I would be better at predicting this.
Do you want to see a new predictions post? I have so many books on my TBR that I think could be contenders for this!
What are some of your 5-star predictions?