I finally read the Grisha trilogy. I know, it took me long enough!
Everyone and their mother has read this trilogy, along with Six of Crows. It was about time I read it and gave my own review. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone because I avoided spoilers myself for so long, so I decided I would do this as a bulleted review of things I liked and disliked in each one!
Shadow and Bone: Rating- 4.5 stars
- It had me hooked from the beginning!
- I really liked Alina, and I grew very protective of her, especially in the beginning when she was much weaker and didn’t fully understand her powers.
- The pace was good and there was plenty of action.
- The characters were done really well, and I liked the way they were all written (even if I didn’t like all of their personalities).
- The ending definitely left me wanting more; I was so happy that the story wasn’t over yet.
Siege and Storm: Rating- 3 stars
- This was my least favorite of the trilogy; it definitely suffered from middle book syndrome. It wasn’t terrible, it just had a lot missing.
- I think it was still an important book because it helped with character growth.
- BUT, it was unnecessarily long- a lot of the action from the first book was gone.
- This book was basically just about Alina’s love triangle/square/pentagon(?).
- I didn’t like any of Alina’s love interests in this one, honestly.
- The ending was really good though, and it left off on a great cliffhanger again.
Ruin and Rising: 5 stars
- This one was my favorite.
- There was so much of the action that was missing in the previous book.
- At the same time, it still had so much character development.
- Alina is a character I’m still very protective of, and I have grown to love her so much, despite her flaws.
- Actually, all of the characters had flaws, but that’s what made them so interesting.
- I don’t understand why everyone hates Mal so much, he’s so sweet and willing to risk everything for Alina.
- Nikolai is my favorite though. The Darkling is the worst sorry.
- The ending was so satisfying, and I’m definitely excited to go back to this world with Six of Crows!
I’m extremely happy that I finally managed to pick up this series. Everyone told me it was really bad compared to Six of Crows, but I actually really enjoyed this trilogy! If Six of Crows is better than this, then I know it will be an instant 5-star read. I am very excited for the tv series that is in the works for this world, too. Have you read this series? What were your thoughts?